Delivering Strategic High Value with SMC TODAY!
Measuring compliance with BIM Guidelines and Requirements
As 2015 draws to a close, we have the opportunity to assess the changes we have seen in the BIM/VDC community over the past year. One thing is for certain; there has been more technology that has been presented to the AEC Industry than ever before. While it is great to see the potential gains that are possible with these new capabilities, it is also more critical than ever that QUALITY is not sacrificed in favor of speed. One way to assure Quality standards are being consistently achieved is to measure the development of BIM files with the established BIM Guidelines and Requirements of the Project Owner(s).
We have been very consistent in our approach. We believe the Industry recognizes that information within a model, if presented consistently, is of extremely high value. That information can be used to support multiple use cases, so it must be accurate and consistent.
There are many BIM Standards and Guidelines being produced today. Some are very detailed, while others are more of a framework, allowing quite a bit of flexibility. The entire AEC community is trying to grasp how models can be used, and they are trying to find the best way to articulate the desired content, to support their plans. This means the ability to measure compliance becomes very important. In this issue, we will provide information and examples of SMC Rulesets, sharing how they can be used to keep your project(s) on track and within scope.
If you haven't already downloaded v9.6, or the most recent maintenance release, it just takes a few minutes: https://solution.solibri.com
We will include tables with links to all the previously published articles related to BIM Use Cases, as well as Tips & Tricks. But, we will also provide you with three (3) new Tips & Tricks to help you save time, wherever possible.
Finally, THANK YOU very much for your continued business! We wish you Happy Holidays and we look forward to a terrific 2016!
SMC and BIM Use Cases
What good is data if you don't know its accuracy, completeness, or compliance with an established requirement?
If you are modeling to support any of the requirements below, SMC should be part of your workflow.
• Model QA/QC
• Code Compliance (AutoCodes)
• Construction Site Safety
• Owner Space Audits
• BIM Guidelines & Requirements
• Risk Mitigation
• BIM Validation
• GSA - Spatial Validation
• Information Takeoff - Estimating
BIM Guidelines & Requirements
- Using SMC to Verify Compliance
- We have drafted an article to share some of the rulesets at your disposal within SMC, if you want to set up checks for specific project requirements. These are just to give you a few samples of what is possible, and to hopefully generate confidence in what you can accomplish.
Please follow this link to read more about working with BIM Requirement checks in SMC:
BIM Use Cases
Complete Listing of Earlier Articles - Please follow the link below if you are interested in an easy access to any of the articles that have been written for your use and reference.
Please follow the link below:
Tips & Tricks - How to Optimize SMC
Quick Tip #29:
- Effectively Using the Navigation Map within SMC - It is pretty easy to get lost in a model when you are walking through it in 3D. With the Navigation Map in SMC, you will not get lost. It is easy to use and a great tool that allows you to move between rooms or spaces rapidly. Maybe this is a capability you were not even aware of?
Please follow this link to read more:
Quick Tip #30
- Color Mapping in SMC v9.6 - We introduced some new capabilities in v9.6 and have written a piece to highlight the flexibility you have at your disposal. Visualization is so powerful and color is a great way to differentiate between components, types or systems.
Please follow this link to see what we have developed for you:
Quick Tip #31
- Paint Tools in SMC v9.6 - This is a new capability that allows you to assign colors very quickly to components that are visible or that you have selected. There are multiple options available, and all are intended to fit within your workflow.
Please follow this link to explore this new capability:
SMC Quick Tips - Complete Listing of all Previous Quick Tips - Please follow the link below if you are interested in an easy to access listing of the Tips that have been shared with you in 2015.