Release Date/Time: July 28, 2014
Location: Helsinki, Finland and Scottsdale, AZ, USA
Solibri announces the immediate availability of the COBie Resources – US (Construction Operations Building information exchange) extension for Solibri Model Checker (SMC). This COBie extension provides the most effective capabilities available to collect, validate, visualize, and export COBie data. This extension makes use of the earlier announced (June 30th) COBie Platform, and includes resources that are specifically aligned with US requirements, such as the use of OmniClass tables for categorization. COBie Resources – UK were also released on June 30th, along with the COBie Platform.
COBie is a framework to organize and structure data from BIM models. The COBie data is then used to populate CAFM (Computer Aided Facilities Management) systems with the information necessary to operate and maintain a facility. With COBie, designers, general contractors and constructors are able to prepare and submit structured, computer-based information rather than a pallet full of disparate paper files. With an estimated 80% of the lifecycle cost of a building occurring during operations, the ability to harness accurate information to manage and maintain assets is absolutely vital.
The US Government and the construction industry understand the potential that BIM represents in the US. This extension developed by Solibri delivers high quality COBie output and also provides significant flexibility to define information content for different national requirements. Solibri Model Checker also has the unique capability to validate the accuracy of the COBie data accompanying the BIM, and to verify the completeness of that data.
Jonathan Widney, President of Solibri LLC added that “while COBie may not be mandated at this point in time, there is clearly movement within the AECO industry to better understand how to maximize the information flow from model authorship through operations. This extension will make it possible to measure the accuracy and the quality of that information today, allowing the end-user to be well positioned when COBie becomes a contractual requirement in the near future.”
Solibri Model Checker (SMC) offers the following, for those interested in COBie:
- The extension packages are available, at no charge, to all users with a current Solibri subscription.
- When creating COBie output it is essential that information is accurate. The new SMC extension includes rulesets that check the model for data integrity, specifically for COBie.
- SMC accepts, via IFC, models from a variety of BIM authoring tools covering architecture, structural and building services. SMC makes it possible to federate these into a single model, then to generate complete COBie output.
- Different authoring tools use their own naming conventions for similar attributes/ properties. The flexibility of SMC enables this inconsistent data to be recognized and harmonized through a range of COBie settings that can be tuned to individual projects.
- Model and data visualization in SMC is really easy and clear. With this visualization now linked to COBie, it’s simple to select a component in COBie and see this in the 3D model – or select a component in the 3D model and see it within the COBie environment.
- Whole or partial sections of the project can be chosen. This offers detailed examination of key parts of the project before creating the final COBie output.
- The current SMC COBie extension packages support the UK & US markets. It is expected a number of these packages will become available to support local requirements enabling users to work, with ease, across national boundaries.
For more information on Solibri and COBie, please contact [email protected]
Solibri is the leader in BIM Quality Assurance and Quality Control. Providing out of the box tools for BIM validation, compliance control, design process coordination, design review, analysis and code checking. Solibri’s corporate message is to develop and market quality assurance solutions that improve the quality of BIM-based design and make the entire design and construction process more productive and cost effective.
Solibri’s customers include major building owners, construction companies, architects and engineering firms in more than 70 countries.
Contact: Solibri, Inc.
Solibri LLC 17470 N. Pacesetter Way Scottsdale,
Arizona 85255 USA
Phone: 480 305 2120 [email protected]