Release Date/Time: June 30th 2014
Solibri Raises the Bar on Data Quality with its New COBie Extension Package
Today Solibri announced the COBie (Construction Operations Building information exchange) extension package for Solibri Model Checker (SMC). The COBie extension provides the most effective process available to collect, validate, visualise, and export COBie data. The extension has two components: COBie platform and resources for local requirements, e.g., UK specific resources.
COBie is a framework to organize and structure data from BIM models. The COBie data is then used to populate CAFM (Computer Aided Facilities Management) systems with the information necessary to operate and maintain a facility. With COBie, contractors and constructors are able to prepare and submit structured, computer-based information rather than the current practice of providing a pallet full of disparate paper files. With an estimated 80% of the lifecycle cost of a building being in its operation then the ability to harness accurate information to manage and maintain assets is absolutely vital.
The UK Government saw the potential from BIM and has mandated the delivery of COBie on all public projects from 2016, with some existing projects already having delivered COBie. Based on the benefits already apparent in the UK the European Union issued a directive in January 2014 which requires all member states to mandate, or strongly endorse, the use of BIM on public projects. With the likely adoption of COBie across the EU and elsewhere, Solibri has developed an extension to SMC which both delivers high quality COBie outputs and also provides huge flexibility to define information content for different national requirements.
Simon Gilbert, Technical Services Director at Solibri UK and a key contributor to the new extension, commented, “Solibri is uniquely placed to support construction professionals in the delivery of COBie output. The core capabilities in SMC of rules-based checking of models and extracting quality information are at the heart of what is required to produce COBie. We have put a huge effort into creating a COBie extension to SMC which is both comprehensive and flexible. There has been a very clear focus on producing an accurate COBie output which can be used, with confidence, in CAFM systems.”
SMC offers the following for those interested in COBie:
- The extension package is available, at no charge, to all users with a current SMC subscription.
- When creating COBie output it is essential that information is accurate. The new SMC extension includes rulesets that check the model for data integrity specifically for COBie.
- SMC accepts, via IFC, models from a variety of BIM authoring tools, covering architecture, structural and building services. SMC federates these into a single model from which a complete COBie output can be generated.
- Often different authoring tools use their own naming conventions for similar attributes/ properties. The flexibility of SMC enables this disconnected data to be recognized and harmonized through a range of COBie settings which can be tuned to individual projects.- Model and data visualization in SMC is really easy and clear. With this visualization now linked to COBie, it’s simple to select a component in COBie and see this in the 3D model – or select a component in the 3D model and see it in COBie.
- Whole or partial sections of the project can be chosen. This offers detailed examination of key parts of the project before creating the final COBie output.
- The current SMC COBie extension package supports UK guidelines. A US package will be ready shortly. It is expected a number of these packages will become available to support local requirements enabling users to work, with ease, across national boundaries.
For more information on Solibri and COBie, please contact [email protected]
Solibri is the leader in BIM Quality Assurance and Quality Control. Providing out of the box tools for BIM validation, compliance control, design process coordination, design review, analysis and code checking. Solibri’s corporate message is to develop and market quality assurance solutions that improve the quality of BIM-based design and make the entire design and construction process more productive and cost effective.
Solibri’s customers include major building owners, construction companies, architects and engineering firms in more than 70 countries.
Contact: Solibri, Inc.
Technical Services Director,
Solibri UK Ltd
Queen Anne House
35 Oxford Street